[windows2000] Re: My XP laptop can no longer access my network

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 05:14:10 -0800 (PST)

Go to services and turn off the windows Firewall.
  Jim Kenzig

Rod Falanga <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I've got an odd problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've got a simple
peer-to-peer network of 2 Windows XP Pro machines and one Windows XP Pro
laptop. Everything has SP2 for XP on them. I'm also using Trend Micro for
AV and firewall. The desktops are connected by network cable to a Netgear
router, which also acts as the wireless network router for the laptop.

Up until about two months or so ago the laptop was able to access resources
shared out by the desktops just fine; things like folder shares and
printers. Then all of a sudden the laptop cannot access anything at all on
my network. It can, however, reach the Internet through the Netgear router.
I've brought up a command window and I can easily ping the Netgear router,
but I cannot ping either of the desktops.

My guess is that some recent Microsoft security patch has disabled/blocked
access to the desktops from the laptop (or presumably any wireless device),
but I've no idea what is blocking it, and certainly no idea as to how to
configure it so that it will allow my laptop to access the two desktops, but
no other wireless device. (I've tried to set up wireless security as best I
can by doing such things as changing the default wireless name, hiding my
SSID, filtering the MAC access to the Netgear router to restrict it only to
the MAC address of the laptop, etc.)

Rod

Jim Kenzig
CEO The Kenzig Group