[windows2000] Mozilla Releases Thunderbird 1.5 E-Mail Client

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:56:20 -0800 (PST)

Get it at http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/releases/1.5.html#download
JK
Mozilla Releases Thunderbird 1.5 E-Mail Client
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060113/bs_nf/40908&printer=1;_ylt=Ag4yoE_ADzhDllo6ghqjoNbwPDQD;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-
Jay Wrolstad, newsfactor.comFri Jan 13, 6:32 PM ET
http://www.mozilla.com/press/mozilla-2006-01-12.html
Mozilla Corp. has formally released a new version of its Thunderbird e-mail
client, which promises improved security features and tools designed to make
the open-source product more user-friendly.
Thunderbird 1.5 includes a new phishing detector that issues an alert to users
when a suspicious link appears in an e-mail message.
It also includes support for server-side spam filters used by Internet service
providers, said Scott MacGregor, the lead engineer for Thunderbird at Mozilla.
Auto Upgrades Offered
Other enhancements include a spell checker, a message-autosave feature, and the
ability to input and sort addresses by frequency of usage. Support for podcasts
via RSS has been added as well, said MacGregor.
Basic features of the client include IMAP/POP e-mail support, a built-in RSS
reader, support for HTML mail, mail-search capabilities, message filtering,
message grouping, labels, return receipts, and the ability to manage multiple
e-mail and newsgroup accounts.
"One of the best features of version 1.5 is automatic software upgrades as they
become available," MacGregor said. "The spam control has been enhanced and we
now provide a two-layer defense against phishing attacks by flagging suspicious
e-mail messages for users."
18 Million and Counting
Thunderbird's support for RSS allows users to receive feed updates as e-mail
messages, filtering and organizing these updates as they would ordinary e-mail.
Thunderbird 1.5 also allows users to access podcasts via a dialog box that
provides direct access to the associated "helper" application, such as a Web
browser or audio player. p> The software, runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X,
reportedly has drawn some 18 million downloads since the launch of Thunderbird
1.0 in December 2004.
"We have improved the e-mail experience by protecting users' privacy,
eliminating junk mail, and adding quick-search capabilities with the built-in
search bar as well," MacGrgor said.
Open-Source Advantage
"The biggest advantage of our e-mail client is that it is open source, based on
the same platform as the Firefox browser, which lets enterprise I.T. managers
and others in the open-source community look at the code and create customized
Thunderbird extensions for their own purposes," he said.
"We are beginning to see an evolving ecosystem built on Mozilla, with Google
integrating its desktop search with the platform and other companies adding
their support," he said.
The latest version of Thunderbird can be downloaded at the Mozilla Web site.