[windows2000] Re: Memory Hog

  • From: "Timothy Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:13:22 -0400

First, adding up the sum of the "Mem Usage" column will actually give you a
larger number than the reality of what user processes are using.  This is
because each line includes memory used by the process that is shared with
other processes.  The OS does this, for example, when two copies of the same
executable (like svchost) run.  Since the code is read-only, it lets them
share.  Oh well!  You are really missing a little bit more than you think.

The missing are a variety of things that are "general" as opposed to process
specific.  Some obvious categories:
- Task Manager: Performance Tab: "Available Memory".  This is memory
available for paging that has not been specifically allocated at this time.
As the OS sees that some pages that have been allocated have not been used
in a while, they get paged out.  The system tries to keep free pages
available so that when something needs to page in, there is a free page
available and it only has to do a read (not a write to free up a page then a
read).  There really is a lot of stuff that can be paged out and never asked
for again (like the initialization code of any program).
- Task Manager: Kernel Memory: "Total". This is not included in the
processes.
- File Cache pages not in use.
- the PTE (how the system maps virtual memory)
- Possibly drivers (I don't remember offhand, but I think they are not
included in the kernel memory figure.

400MB sounds like a lot to me.  Available is probably under 40, Kernel 40,
file cache another 40.  Maybe 20 for the remaining.  You can investigate
further using tools such a pmon from the "Resource Toolkit" (the tools can
be freely download from Microsoft without buying the book -- although the
book will explain what things are), or you can get free tools from the folks
at SysInternals as well.  The biggest problem with a lot of these tools is
that the names used for items are not always perfectly descriptive of what
they include, and they change from tool to tool.

The first thing **I** would look at, however, is in the Performance Monitor
(Administrator Tools->Performance).  Look at the paging activity (PagesRead,
not PageFaults).  If there aren't a lot of pages being read in from disk,
you don't have a problem!  A reasonable level depends upon the setup.
Experts will quote 20/sec to 50/sec as being a indication of a problem.

Timothy R. Mangan  - Founder, TMurgent Technologies
tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx  www.tmurgent.com  (+1)781.492.0403

From: Brian Hoppe <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday October 20 2003 02:32PM PT

BH> Yes, task manager, performance monitor... that's where I'm getting
BH> these figures. The problem is that in the task manager, the used
BH> memory is unaccounted for.

It's there.  Go to View -> Select Columns and select Memory Usage.

-MikeD

know, in most cases, CPU Utilization IS NOT the single biggest constraint to
scaling up?! Get this free white paper to understand the real constraints &
how to overcome them. SAVE MONEY by scaling-up rather than buying more
servers.
http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=147