[windows2000] Re: Memory Hog

  • From: "Brian Hoppe" <bhoppe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:56:07 -0500

Maybe I am not explaining myself clearly enough.  I know how to use the task
manager.  I know how to view the processes from all users and view different
columns.  I AM looking at the "Memory Usage" column.  In this column, SQL
Server is taking up 820MB.  All of the other processes combine for about
100MB.  This combines for about 920MB of memory usage.  Now, if I switch
over to the performance monitor tab, this says that I am using over 1.3GB.
The problem is that it doesn't add up.  I am trying to figure out where the
other 400MB is being used. Is there something else that I could be missing,
or something that could be running that could possibly not be reporting its
memory usage?

From: Brian Hoppe <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday October 20 2003 02:32PM PT

BH> Yes, task manager, performance monitor... that's where I'm getting
BH> these figures. The problem is that in the task manager, the used
BH> memory is unaccounted for.

It's there.  Go to View -> Select Columns and select Memory Usage.

-MikeD

know, in most cases, CPU Utilization IS NOT the single biggest constraint to
scaling up?! Get this free white paper to understand the real constraints &
how to overcome them. SAVE MONEY by scaling-up rather than buying more
servers.
http://www.rtosoft.com/Enter.asp?ID=147