[windows2000] Re: Internet Only PC

  • From: Errol & Estelle Sapir <errol@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:54:21 +0200

I run a biggish network of school computers. ALL the computers have Deep Freeze installed on them. It is a life saver from ANY intrusion into the computer. Once one has configured and activated the password protected Deep freeze on the computer, NOTHING can be done to change that configuration permanently. While it is on the users can do what they like but once the reset button is pressed, all goes back to the way you set it up. Users can even format the disk and on reset the disk is back as was. It has saved me hours of work and is worth every cent. I am in no way connected to the program, only a satisfied user. There are also hardware solutions (called "magic cards") but I prefer this software solution. If you want more help feel free to ask.

Errol

Andrew Duey wrote:

Sorry for the late reply but just getting caught up after a vacation . . .
Check out a product called DeepFreeze (http://www.faronics.com/) For public access terminals it is by far the best solution out there. It undoes 100% of all changes on every reboot when it's frozen. I've used this for public access terminals in hotels and found out about it after checking it out in the public labs at the local university. It's sub $50 per seat.
It does something like write to a virtual HD instead of the real HD. You can leave the machine as loose as you want, let them install toolbars, viruses, and anything else and on the next reboot it will all be undone (including cookies, passwords, etc). After talking with the university network admin when challanged to break a frozen computer, I opened regedit, and deleted the entire HKLM registry key and most of the windows folder, the machine locked (rather pissed off) then I pulled the power cord. When the machine booted backup it was as though I'd never been there!
If you're still looking for a solution, I think this may be it. The only problem I ran into is that periocally the machines must be unfrozen to add patches & AV Def updates since they are wiped out after each reboot.
--Andrew Duey, MCSE
Duey's Computer Service, Inc.