[windows2000] IIS won't run asp-apps

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:50:38 +0100

Hi all,

We have a problem with our dept internal asp-driven helpdesk.

All of a sudden (for no apparent reason) the helpdesk stopped
working and gave me the following message:

"Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application
during the processing of your request. Please refer to the event
log for more detail information. Please contact the server
administrator for assistance."

Also the events 36 and 10004 were logged.

I checked EventId.net and the related Technet kb-articles, went
through all the pwd synching on the web-server iusr and iwam
accounts, ntfs-perms, and I still get the error mentioned above.

It *is* some sort of authentication problem AFAICS, as I'm able to
logon to the helpdesk by telling the website to use basic
authentication and setting the application protection(ie the
helpdesk) to "low", but the uid/pwd are sent in clear-text then,
which I do not like. Also there is a popup when clicking the
helpdesk-link which will most probably confuse the users.

If the settings are as I prefer them to be, ie windows
ntlmwhateverprotocol, the uid/pwd is sent encrypted, and the
application protection is set to "isolated" then the helpdesk won't
work.

I don't know what else to check. Can you guys help?

Thx.

BW,

Sorin