[windows2000] Re: Home DNS Server

  • From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:43:19 -0500

Thanks Rob.  I did that last night, and everything worked just fine.
>=20
> 2. I think XP doesn't try to resolve using the second server=20
> because it
> doesn't work that way.  That second server is for when your=20
> client does not
> get a response from the primary DNS server.  XP Pro uses DNS=20
> exclusively to
> participate in an AD domain.  Here is a little experiment. =20
> Make your AD DNS
> server your primary.  Then right click my computer and select=20
> "Manage".
> After that, try to add a domain user account to a local user=20
> group.  No
> problem, right?  Now, remove your AD DNS server as the=20
> primary (in fact,
> delete it from your TCP/IP settings all together.  Now try to=20
> do the same
> thing.  No dice!  You shouldn't even be able to select the=20
> domain to add
> users from!

It's funny you say that.  I learned that when I was setting up a new
computer last night and wanted to add a domain user to the local admins
group.  It wouldn't let me enter "net localgroup administrators
domain\user /add."  I didn't understand why at first.  I thought that
until I figured out the DNS thing I could just use mydomain.com in the
hosts file and everything would be fine.  Nope!  Switched the computer
to use the DC for DNS, and I was able to add the user.

Thanks Rob,

Ray at work

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com