[windows2000] Re: Home DNS Server

  • From: Robert Funderburk <robfunderburk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:41:55 -0500

Ray,

1. Remove the root domain ( the forward lookup zone with a single . ) from
your DNS server.  After that the server should forward queries using root
hints to the root servers.  After you remove the root domain, you can srt
your DNS server to use a forwarder, such as the IP address of your ISP's DNS
server.  You will probably find this faster than just hitting the root
servers on the Internet.

2. I think XP doesn't try to resolve using the second server because it
doesn't work that way.  That second server is for when your client does not
get a response from the primary DNS server.  XP Pro uses DNS exclusively to
participate in an AD domain.  Here is a little experiment.  Make your AD DNS
server your primary.  Then right click my computer and select "Manage".
After that, try to add a domain user account to a local user group.  No
problem, right?  Now, remove your AD DNS server as the primary (in fact,
delete it from your TCP/IP settings all together.  Now try to do the same
thing.  No dice!  You shouldn't even be able to select the domain to add
users from!

-Rob