[windows2000] Re: Hey, dude, it's me ^_^ :P

  • From: Glenn Jackman <glennj@xxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:48:48 -0500

On 2004-03-04 09:13, Angus Macdonald wrote:
> That's what bagle does. All we can tell from this is that someone that has
> the list in his or her address book has been infected.

Bagle look through much more than just the address book:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.beagle.j@xxxxxxx
[...]
7. Scans files on the local drives with the following extensions:
    * .adb
    * .asp
    * .cfg
    * .cgi
    * .dbx
    * .eml
    * .htm
    * .mdx
    * .mmf
    * .msg
    * .nch
    * .ods
    * .php
    * .pl
    * .sht
    * .tbb
    * .txt
    * .uin
    * .wab
    * .xml
and collects any email addresses it finds.

Also,
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=101071

Virus writers are getting smart about playing with psychology:  users
tend to trust messages coming from the administration of their ISP,
particularly when it impacts their ability to send email.

--
Glenn Jackman
NCF Sysadmin