[windows2000] Re: Hard Linking a folder on one server to a folder on another server.

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:28:14 +0100

You can map dfs-shares to drive letters. Works like a charm.

I think you mean "links". Each actual domain root or standalone dfs root can
have several links under it. If you use a domain I'd use the domain dfs
type, as you can also use automatic replication and failover-locations for
your files and docs.

Ie:

\\yourdomain.local.or.what.ever\dfs\company1\folder contains a link and
points to \\server1\folder1

\\yourdomain.local.or.what.ever\dfs\company1\folder contains a link and
points to \\server2\folder2

\\yourdomain.local.or.what.ever\dfs\company1\folder contains a link and
points to \\server3\folder3

Each of the links, will be a folder and visible in the
\\yourdomain.local.or.what.ever\dfs\company1\folder, and dbl-clicking one of
them will take you to it as if it would be just any folder/file (although
you won't see where it actual is, w/o checking the mapping with the
dfs-snapin in mmc).

This is a bit difficult to explain with words. It's so much easier to show.
8-)