[windows2000] Re: Fixing corrupt Word doc-files

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:40:07 +0200

The user had some 10GB worth of word files on the local harddrive. This
folder was deleted while doing an automated disk cleanup and the files
were lost (the user hadn't copied the files to the server...). I was
however able to undelete most of the files with the Recover My
Files-software. Some files, mostly word docs) were however corrupt, and
this is what I'm trying to fix.

When I try to open any of the wordfiles, word asks what kind of format
the doc is, which is never a good sign, and then suggests some
weirdo-format and/or even weirder language... When the doc finally opens
it looks something similar to opening up a binary file in notepad.

I have a hunch that most, if not all of the recovered wordfiles, are
fatally corrupt, ie unfixable.