[windows2000] Re: Error in Java install

  • From: "Hazen Woods" <ehw@xxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:42:41 -0600

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:14:31 -0000, Twigg, Craig wrote:

>>Who's Java Virtual Machine are we installing?
>>
>>-Third Party?
>>-Microsoft
>>-The real JVM from java.sun.com
>>
>>If you are installing Sun's JVM goto java.sun.com for any help.

It's from java.sun.com.  I'll check their site this afternoon, upon return.
I'm running Win 2K Pro.  Will
be in touch after another go at it then.

>>You'll probably need to learn how to set the CLASSPATH environment variable.
>>You can do it
through MyComputer (I think) or maunally in a startup script like AutoExec.

>>Set CLASSPATH=c:\JRE_FOLDER\lib;.   <-- the dot is required
>>
>>The path needs to be set to the folder above the .jar files you've installed.
>>The sun .jar is called
tools.jar.

>>Third party .jars get put in the lib\com folder usually handled by the third
>>party. I refer to a third
party here differently from above. Above is the virtual machine these are the
.jar files with all Class
files in - ie the program code.

>>Hope this made sense. You may not need to set the classpath depends on how
>>helpful the
install is.

>>craig

support
>>and informed necessary to have Java installed.  Attempted to install.  Now
>>know about 65MB+
so don't
>>know if can do on 28.8 dialup.  Anyway after about an hour get following
>>error message:
>>
>>Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program
>>run as part of the
setup
>>did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
>> Action rt,
location: C:
>>\WINNT\Installer\MSI180.tmp, command: -l "C:\DOCUME~1\HAZENW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
>>\java_install.log" "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\\lib\rt.pack" "C:\Program
>>Files\Java\j2re1.4.2
\\lib