[windows2000] Re: Error 1706

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:35:54 -0700

>From: Darlene <babydoveme@xxxxxxxxx>
>I recently purchased a new computer that came with Win 2000
>professional, and I am having a problem understanding why I can't get
>word, excel, etc to work under another name.  It will work under
>administration, but I get an error code under my user name before word
>will launch.  Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product
>Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business.  The Windows installer
>cannot continue.

This is a permissions issue.  Basically it looks like your office program is
trying to do an "install on demand" which is a feature that auto-installs
the appropriate program when you need it, instead of when office is
initially installed.  Log in as the administrator and open each of the
programs you want to use, that should take care of it.  Also, MS Office
needs some serious permissions to run properly check out article 277867.  Am
I the only one who find the new article numbers without the Q to be
annoying, it makes them harder to find on google.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.  The
sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides