[windows2000] EU report takes Microsoft to task

  • From: David Spanne <werenomads@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:47:22 -0800

http://zdnet.com.com/2102-1104_2-5197411.html?tag=printthis

LOVE THIS!

"...memo written for Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates by C++ General Manager Aaron
Contorer in 1997 that describes ..."

"It is this switching cost that has given the customers the patience to stick
with Windows through all our mistakes, our buggy drivers, our high TCO (total
cost of ownership), our lack of a sexy vision, at times, and many other
difficulties," the e-mail said. "Customers constantly evaluate other desktop
platforms, (but) it would be so much work to move over that they hope we just
improve Windows rather than force them to move."

The Contorer e-mail continues: "In short, without this exclusive franchise,
called the Windows API, we would have been dead a long time ago."