[windows2000] Re: Changing printer name in Win 2K

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:43:05 -0800

From: "Drew Shriner" <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
My problem is - and what I thought his was - is that I
need to rename them at workstation level. We have a naming policy
district-wide that works flawlessly (i.e. F-1200-HPLJ4200-1 ((Building
ID)-(Room Number)-(Printer Type)-(Seq. Number))). That's at tree level.
So a printer name might be...

\\E-1000-HPLJ4200DTN-1.Printers.ECC.DIS.EFCTS

That's fine for nearly all of our users. There are, however, a few users
that are not computer literate, and need all of the hand-holding that we
can give them. Such users are those that need the printer to be renamed
(i.e. Printer, Color Printer, Duplex Printer, Printer in Lab1, etc)

That's what I can't figure out. It's easy to rename the printer for
*everyone*.

I'm not sure you can do that with Novell. You can with Windows, but I think in Novell everything is based on the leaf object, and printer agents/printers must maintain a 1:1 ratio. However, wether you can or not, you've exceeded my meagre experience with Novell, I'm only using win2k and Mandrake Linux here. One option might be to give each of your printers a friendly name component like this:

\\(fluffy_bunny)-E-1000-HPLJ4200DTN-1.Printers.ECC.DIS.EFCTS

or

\\E-1000-HPLJ4200DTN-1-(mad_cow).Printers.ECC.DIS.EFCTS

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." --Darth Vader

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)