[windows2000] Re: Cabling for a house

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:54:13 -0800

>From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Sure, I'll run right out and pick up 2000 feet of fiber cable.  ;]
>Isn't that quite expensive?  Maybe I'm just remember back to my
>post-high school days when we needed to replace a 90 foot length of
>fiber cable for our Norand cash register at Pizza Hut, and it cost like
>$15,000 or something ridiculous.

I don't think they're that expensive nowadays, although they're still more
than copper.

>Right now we're fine with our 100Mb network.  But in setting up a new
>home server this weekend and copying 30 GB of files over the 100Mb
>network, it made me really want something faster.  Who knows, maybe the
>bottleneck is actually the write speed of my hard drives and a faster
>network wouldn't make any difference.  But regardless, I figure we'll
>run this network for a few years before we go wireless.

If this isn't something you do very often, why not just set up each machine
with a removeable hard drive bay, buy a spare drive and swap files that way.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get get straight to the
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."  --Johnny Hart