[windows2000] Re: Boots just to reboot automatically

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:37:58 +0200

Long shot: Might it be the PSU that can't deliver enough juice,
when the graphics switch from the boot-up VGA to the "normal" XGA
(or whatever) mode in windows?

--Original Message Text---
From: Ed
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:03:46 -0700

Win XP Home computers (2)

Computer boots and starts Win XP Home...see the little graphic bar
goes across the screen (normal)..then when normally the login
prompt is presented (or when login prompt is not used - auto login
in case and suppose to bring up the desktop), the computer goes
into a hard reboot automatically.

I can go into the BIOS setup - all looks normal
I try to boot from Norton CD, it boots but then locks up computer
after I select boot to emergency repair.
I try to boot from Win2000Pro CD, it boots then locks up right
before the message that setup is inspecting your computer.
I try to boot from a DOS floppy created at a Win98 machine. Get the
Window 98 Boot disk message then it locks up.
I unplug all the hard drives (2), try a clean made Win98 dos boot
disk. Same as above.
I unplug all the hard drives (2), try to boot. Get message stating
no boot disk found.

Anybody got any clues?

Apparently, I can not even access the hard drive to reformat. But I
need to save the files there. I might be able to put the hard disk
into another working computer as a second or third hard drive. The
format or look at the contents. However, I do not want to infect a
working system.

Yes, I have pulled the 2 systems from the network.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# BOFH excuse follows: The electrician didn't know what the yellow cable was so
he yanked the ethernet out.