[windows2000] Re: Backups

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:18:56 -0500

What kind of database? MS SQL Server?

What I do here is set the SQL agent to perform a backup to disk, then that
directory is what gets copied to tape.  It removes files older than two days
when it finishes so I always have my least two backups on disk before I have to
break out a tape.  I do the same thing with a script for mysql. The script
stops the service, runs xcopy to dump the data directories to a backup folder,
the restarts the service. Takes about 30 seconds.

This would be cheap to do. All you need is disk space.  The tape is then your
second line of defense, not your first.

You could even go as far as getting a cheap NAS device like the one from iomega
and just use it to hold backups.  Run your tapes against that for a permanent
archive.

Sorry for the top post. I know you hate that.  It's late.

Greg