[windows2000] Re: BDC not backing up PDC

  • From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:42:34 -0500

And eventually says that it cannot find a DC to authenticate you?  The
client machine is W2K?  If so, you'd think that if it can't find a DC, it'd
log you on with cached credentials.

Are you able to resolve the other DC by name on the workstation machine with
the main DC off the network?  Try this, if at all possible:

1.  Shutdown DC1
2.  Reboot your workstation
3.  Log on to workstation with a local account, i.e. administrator
4.  Open a command prompt and enter:

ping NAME_OF_DC2

One of five responses should appear:

1: Ping request could not find host NAME_OF_DC2. Please check the name and
try again.

2: Pinging NAME_OF_DC2 [IP.ADDRESS.OF.NAME_OF_DC2] with 32 bytes of data:
   Reply from IP.ADDRESS.OF.NAME_OF_DC2...

3: Pinging NAME_OF_DC2.YourDomain.com [IP.ADDRESS.OF.NAME_OF_DC2] with 32
bytes of data:
   Reply from IP.ADDRESS.OF.NAME_OF_DC2...

4: Pinging NAME_OF_DC2 [IP.ADDRESS.OF.NAME_OF_DC2] with 32 bytes of data:
   Request timed out...

5: Pinging NAME_OF_DC2.YourDomain.com [IP.ADDRESS.OF.NAME_OF_DC2] with 32
bytes of data:
   Request timed out...

Which response do you get?

> To answer your second question ..  Is when I installed it I
> installed it as a domain controller...

If you are able to successfully ping NAME_OF_DC2, enter this
command at the command prompt where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the
machine's IP address.

nbtstat -A XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

What is returned from this command?

Ray at home