[windows2000] Re: Another question

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:27:37 -0500

A couple reasons spring to mind... this is by no means a complete list:

1. (this one I am not sure of, but feel free to test it if you want) To
pre-setup a new machine in the domain.  If I create an account with the
correct name in the domain, then when a user (or someone without rights to
add computers to the domain) tells the machine to join the domain, they are
not prompted for authentication info.

2. Pre-stage RIS clients.  Same as above, only for RIS clients.

3. Pre-move a computer account: when you add a new computer to a domain, by
default it gets placed in the Computers container.  If you wanted the
computer to be created inside a different container (an OU for example) you
could add the computer to the domain ahead of time (using ADU&C) and when
the machine is joined to the domain, it will show up in that OU.

I'm sure there are more.

Note, I am answering the implied question: "Why would you manually add
computer accounts to an AD using ADU&C snap-in?"

I state that because, the first time I read you mail I read it as: "Why add
computers to a domain?" which is a much different question/answer, isn't it?

HTH,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.