[windows2000] Re: Admin$

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:05:18 +0100

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote on Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:52
PM:

We bought licenses recently for Everest Corp Ed from Lavalys
<http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=5&lang=en>.

We run it at each computer boot automatically once a day, and the files
needed are easily deployed, especially since we had Aida32 running before -
all setup, no need to reinvent the wheel. ECE is basically the same thing,
but more modern.

With the csv-dumps I get from each client (and server) I create an executive
report for my boss at the end of each month. Simple.

It does all we need (hard- and software inventoring, as well as keeping
track of serial numbers for installed products). It can export audits to sql
should the need ever arise, we don't that though. Yet.

Other inventoring apps worth investigating may be WinAudit
<http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm> and OCS Inventory
<http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net/>. Both are free AFAIK.

We're a small department (about 30ish users and 90ish computers in all), so
we don't really need those big multithousanddollar complicated systems like
Altiris et al. Our focus is/was a simple-to-setup system that really doesn't
need much of any maintenance and with a small footprint.

HTH.