[windows2000] Re: Active directory conversions

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:11:22 -0700

Craig,

The only thing that I've seen be a problem with the 'swing' method of
domain migration is that you should make sure your FQDN of the NT 4.0
PDC that you're upgrading to win2k is correct prior to the upgrade.

Once win2k is installed to that server, and it's auto dc-promo'd you
won't be able to change it's FQDN. This can make it a challenge to bring
other win2k DC's into the domain to move the FSMO roles over.

For example:
        - The NT 4.0 PDC has an FQDN of "pdc.your.domain" set within the
DNS tab of the properties of TCP/IP on the server, prior to the win2k
upgrade.
        - During the upgrade and subsequent promotion to a win2k DC, you
decide to name your new domain DNS as "win2k.domain".
        - The domain upgrade wizards will finish, and your new win2k
domain will have a DC that's stuck with an unchangeable FQDN of
"pdc.your.domain", but a DNS domain space of "win2k.domain".
        - all other servers attempting to dcpromo will join the domain
as "servername.win2k.domain" and will have difficulty resolving your
incorrectly named PDC emulator.

It's a small setting, but can cause major headaches if mis-set. So, be
sure to have your DNS naming convention fully defined prior to beginning
the PDC upgrade process.

Aside from that the swing method is a great way to upgrade domains with
minimal downtime for your end users.

My $.02

PS - I absolutely agree, OS upgrades are completely evil. You never know
what kind of junk will remain on the upgraded system to cause you
headaches down the road. Do the upgrade to a single, clean system, the
bring in other freshly installed win2k / win2k3 servers and get the
upgraded system out of there.