[windows2000] Re: Access to WSS2 from Workgroup to Domain

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:01:19 +0200

Sorin Srbu <> wrote on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:58 AM:

Ok, found something promising. On
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sharepoint/V2/wsstshoo.mspx
it's said

"I can't open a document library file in my application
? Are you an anonymous user (not a member of a site group)?   Even though the
site may allow anonymous users to view the file in a Web browser, you must be
a member of a site group with the View Lists right to open the file in an
application, and you must be a member of a site group with the Edit Items
right to edit the file. See your site administrator for more information.

I can't open a document library file in my application
? Are you an anonymous user (not a member of a site group)?   Even though the
site may allow anonymous users to view the file in a Web browser, you must be
a member of a site group with the View Lists right to open the file in an
application, and you must be a member of a site group with the Edit Items
right to edit the file. See your site administrator for more information.

So I need to somehow add an anonymous user (this is intranet, no outside
connections allowed in, so an anonymous user may edit things to their hearts
content) to the Contributor group on WSS2.

See the admin MS says, well I'm the admin I don't know how to do this...

Could the "servername\IUSR_servername"-account on the server holding the WSS
somehow need adding to some WSS-site group?? How then?

Somebody must have had this same problem at one point or another.

Any ideas guys?

> Hi all,
>
> I have WSS2 installed on a server that is a member of a domain. Computers in
> our subnet (running windows) that are members of a workgroup are *not*
> allowed to add Events and Announcements to the portal.
>
> I managed to allow the workgroup-connected machines to at least view the
> contents on the portal by allowing anonymous access in the site
> administration, and setting it to "allow access to the entire site". This
> works fine, even our linux-machines can handle this.
>
> However, I'm not sure how to set this up so that users that are using
> workgroup-computers can *add* stuff too.
>
> I've tried to tweak how logons are made to the wss-server from the
> workgroups, but the only thing that works is "Anonymous logon" and
> "Automatic logon only in Intranet zone" and only for viewing. Any try to add
> contents pops up a login box. Entering domain-credentials (domain\username
> and pwd) does not work, the login box just pops back up.
>
> Am I missing anything here? Is what I'm trying to achieve here at all
> doable?
>
> TIA.
>
> BW,
>
> Sorin
>
> # Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer        Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
> # Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,        Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals>
GSM