[windows2000] Re: ASSP (Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy)

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:03:08 -0400

I kind of farted around with the directions from http://tinyurl.com/2cz45 but
they weren't real clear, and I wanted to run IIS's SMTP engine as my relay
engine.

I have it set up on a separate machine from my exchange server.  My mail path
goes like this:

Inbound: Internet->ASSP->(Proxies the connection to)->Exchange 2003->Mail Client
Outbound: Mail Client->Exchange 2003->ASSP->(Proxies the connection to)->IIS
SMTP->Internet

I guess simple step by step would be:
1.  Install a machine with IIS SMTP from scratch.  Give it two fixed IPs.
2.  Install ActivePerl from http://www.activestate.com
3.  At a command prompt, in the ActivePerl directory, type
    ppm install http://www.roth.net/perl/packages/win32-daemon.ppd
    This installs the daemon needed to run as a service
4.  Download and unpack ASSP into a directory with no spaces.
5.  Create the following subfolders, if they were not created for you:
    /spam
    /notspam
    /errors
    /errors/spam
    /errors/notspam
6.  At a command prompt, in the assp directory, type: perl assp.pl
7.  Point your web browser at http://127.0.0.1:55555.  Log in with no name, and
the default password, nospam4me.
8.  In the Internet Services Manager MMC Snap-in, right click on the Default
SMTP server, and choose Properties.
9.  On the General Tab, under Advanced, change the port that the SMTP server
runs on to 225.
10. On the Access tab, under Connection, Grant access to 127.0.0.1, both IPs
you assigned to this new machine, and the IP of your Exchange server.
11. Give the same access under "Relay"
12. Restart the SMTP service.
13. Back to ASSP... pull up that browser window, and set it up like this:
    SMTP Destination: <Exchange Server IP>:25
    Listen Port: 25
    Web Admin Password: <Choose One>
    Accept All Mail: 127.0.0.1
    Local Domains: <Your Domain Name>|assp.<Your Domain Name
    Relay Host: 127.0.0.1:225
    Relay Port: <IP Address #2>:25
    Enable Email Interface: Check This Off
14. Make sure you click "Apply" at the bottom...
15. Now test:
    From a totally different machine, telnet to <IP address #1> port 25.
    You should see the banners from your exchange server, and be able to do a
manual email to your mailbox.
    From the exchange server, telnet to <IP address #2> port 25.
    You should be able to relay mail to any external address.
16. Assuming you passed the test, change your firewall PAT rules to forward
port 25 to <IP address #1> instead of <Exchange Server IP>.
17. Change you SMTP connector properties to relay all mail to the "Smart Host"
at <IP Address #2>
18. Create three custom recipients, named:
      Spam
      NotSpam
      Whitelist
    with addresses:
      Spam@assp.<domain name>
      NotSpam@assp.<Domain Name>
      whitelist@assp.<Domain Name>
    for your users to forward spam, misidentified spam, and addresses that they
want to be whitelisted.
19. At a command prompt, type:
    perl addservice.pl -i c:\assp\assp.pl c:\assp
    substituting your actual path where necessary.
20. In the web interface, check off "Run as service" and click apply.
21. Stop assp from running in a command window, and start the ASSP service from
computer management.

I guess that was longer than I thought... I should save this...

HTH,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.