[windows2000] AOL Anywhere

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:04:46 -0800

Some of the employees here at work use AOL Anywhere to get their corporate
mail (not my idea, and I'm working on it, in the mean time...) Until last
week, everything seemed to be working fine, now when I log in as
administrator it seems to work ok, but if any regular user logs in, they
can't properly download attachments, or forward email, and sometimes it
locks up the browser.  Does anyone have any idea what they changed?  We use
ISA server as a proxy/firewall, but hotmail, and other web-based email
services are working fine.  They can access port 80 for http, and port 443
for https.  I haven't been able to find anything in my logs that would point
me in the right direction, I also searched google.  Tried to talk to AOL
tech support but they refuse to support the website.  I don't really want to
install AOL 8.0 on our computers due to the fact that in infests everything,
opens you up for port 5190 exploits, and has a tendency to crash the system,
not to mention needed excessively lax permissions to run properly.  Advice,
pointers, flames, anyone?

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."