[windows2000] A question or two about rebooting servers that are global catalog servers and GP

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <WINDOWS2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:42:19 -0600

I've mentioned on this list before, that I was having troubles with my =
password protected screen saver on my Windows XP Pro machine, which is a =
part of a Windows 2000 network (Active Directory).  Basically, it wasn't =
working.  I asked on this list what might be the problem, and several =
suggested it might lie in group policies.

I'm not one who has any training in Windows 2000, but due to =
circumstances (our network admin resigned, and thus I've been thrust =
into the role), I am struggling with trying to figure these things out.  =
Thanks entirely to the very kind people on this list, I was able to find =
out where the group policy thing is, and then after spending several =
days with it, I found stuff about disabling the screen saver under =
Control Panel, etc.  I found that it wasn't configured, so I configured =
it.  However, even after doing that, my PC's screen saver wouldn't work =
and I couldn't set it, etc (it was disabled from the Control Panel's =
Display applet).  This was of last week.

Then yesterday, for reasons too numerous to go into now, I had to reboot =
one of the other servers in our network.  This other server is one of =
our global catalog servers.  (All the servers in our network are Windows =
2000 Servers.)  It went down and came back up again without a hitch.

Later in the day, I discovered that my PC's screen saver was working!  I =
had done absolutely nothing to it; it just started to work.  I have to =
conclude that it had something to do with the fact that I rebooted that =
server.  But I'm confused by this.  I had made the changes to the Group =
Policy on another server (not the one I rebooted yesterday).  Wouldn't =
that have, after some period of time, propagated throughout the network? =
 I mean, doesn't Active Directory "copy" things (or whatever it is =
called) from one global catalogue server, to another?  Aren't these =
group policy things a part of AD?  I'm concerned because, as it appears =
to me now, I can make a change to group policy, but unless I reboot a =
server or two, it doesn't appear to me as though the policy so changed =
goes into effect.

What's going on here?=20

=A0
Rod Falanga