[windows2000] A disk read error occurred

  • From: "Toby Bierly" <toby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:06:37 -0700

I'm am trying to restore a single Exchange mailbox by restoring the entire
Exchange database from a backup tape to an old server and then transferring the
data for the mailbox I want via a .pst file (according to the steps outlined in
Microsoft KB813337).

The first thing I tried to do was install Windows Small Business Server 2000 on
the old server because it needs to be the same as the current Exchange server.
So I booted the old server with the SBS2000 CD, deleted the partitions (they
were too small), created 1 new larger partition, and tried to continue setup.
It copied all the files over to the hard drive and then automatically rebooted.

On the reboot, when it tries to boot from the hard drive, I get the following
error:

A Disk Read Error Occurred
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to Restart

This is on an HP NetServer LC3.  I have tried reformatting again, clearing the
cmos via a switch on the motherboard, etc., but with no luck.  I can boot from
the cd and get into recovery console where I can access the C:\ drive and all
the install files seem to be copied there just fine.

I googled for that error and came up with ideas like clearing cmos, loose
cables, format from inside the recovery console (I tried this with the command
"format c:" -- is there a better way), flashing the bios (whatever that means),
etc.  None of them seemed to help.

The server had been sitting around for a while (about 1 year), but I booted it
up and everything worked fine before I tried to reformat and install SBS2000).
SBS 4.5 was installed (NT Server).  So I seriously doubt it is loose cable, a
bad hard drive, or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Toby