[windows2000] Re: 2 Nics, Swapping DNS Servers

  • From: "Robert K Coffman Jr. -Info From Data Corp." <bcoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:51:40 -0400

Unless I'm missing something, your config is a mess and flawed.

If you need to "resolve addresses on that range" then the DNS server(s) you
are using better know about hosts on that range. Your DNS client will only
use the secondary (tertiary etc) DNS server when the proceeding servers
_fail to respond_..  In other words, if you ask DNS server 1 "who is
google.com" and DNS server 1 says "beats me" then you are done - your client
does not continue to the next server.  If DNS Server 1 doesn't reply (it's
down for example) then it will move to DNS Server 2, etc....

Also - two default gateways?  Why?

//www.freelists.org/list/windows2000