Re: winamp volume and software speech

  • From: "Tracey Kier" <tracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:13:15 +0100

Hi Rob. OK, have carried out the steps you outlined below exactly as
instructed, but it is not having any effect, either on the overall volume or
on the volume of Winamp. However I'm wondering if I am somehow having a
focus issue. To explain further, after carrying out your instructions, I
went to the desktop, and opened the ACB radio tuner and selected the
interactive stream, just to test if the settings had worked. So I then had
three active applications, Winamp, The ACB radio tuner, and Outlook Express,
which was open before I started this procedure. I alt tabbed through the
open applications until the Winamp window information was spoken, to ensure,
as I thought, that I had the correct window in focus. Now, if I am right,
the volume should be changed in Winamp by using the alt key in combination
with the slash, period, comma and the letter m on the keyboard. Pressing the
first three of these keys had no effect whatsoever, and when pressing alt m
I ended up in one of the menus in Outlook express. I then alt tabbed back to
the Winamp window and tried again with the same result. So, I then closed
down every other active window, so that Winamp was the only application
window open. I tried again, still with no luck. However, on pressing alt f4
to close the Winamp window, I was given the Windows shutdown menu instead.
I'm not at all sure what's going on here, but when alt tabbing through open
applications the Winamp window appears to come into focus in the normal way.
However, the other thing I've noticed, and I'm not sure if this is usual
behaviour or not, but when I alt tab to the Winamp window, when listening to
the ACBRI stream there is a lot of information about the song currently
playing, etc. However, when checking the title bar with insert t, Jaws just
says "title is" and does not even identify the winamp window, let alone give
any other information. I would describe myself as an intermediate Windows
user, but am not at all experienced with Winamp, so any help you or anyone
else on the list can give me would be much appreciated. Again, I'm using
Winamp 5.05, JFW 5.0, and a SoundBlaster Live Platinum sound card, and I am
not experiencing any focus issues with any other program on my system.
Thanks for your help so far. Tracey.