Re: total time is different for Ogg files

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:17:04 -0800

I am WAY late on this one, but I wonder if it has to do with how the mp3 was encoded, or the *.ogg file was? Maybe one with VBR and the other, not? I have made a lot of books into vbr mp3 files and winamp never reports the correct time.

Curtis Delzer

At 10:36 PM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
Well like I said folks, I've tried this already and both files end at exactly the same time. I believe Winamp is just incorrectly stating the elapsed time. When you go to the jump to time dialogue box and type in a time that is close to the end of the file but not quite there, both files land in the same spot, but the times are listed differently. I believe it has something to do with the way Winamp plays Ogg files.
This isn't a huge deal, but this is more of a curiocity. I'd like for someone else other than me to try this and see what kind of results you get. I know we have folks here running all kinds of different versions, some of y'all are still back at the 2.x series of Winamp, and I'd like to see what kind of results you get. Again, the idea here is to produce a copy of a file in both mp3, and Ogg vorbis format, and see if they both last exactly the same time. My 2 files are **exactly** identical, right down to the last bit, but the times are different.
That is the only difference I can see.

At 11:20 PM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
Or load both files into that other program and see if either or both times agree with Winamp.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Robert Hebert wrote:

Do you have a stopwatch?
Perhaps an independent time check of both files using a device separate from the computer can determine if there really is any time difference.
If there really is a difference in the time duration of both files, then this discussion could be taken to a new and enchanting level--just in time for Halloween!