Re: something about replay gain

  • From: Bob Kanish <BobKanish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:29:11 -0800

Hi allan,

My answers are below your questions.

1. after i calculate replay gain to some of my mp3 song, i realize that the volume will be slower then the actual 1. what is the
problem? is this normal?
I am not sure what you mean by this.  there may be a bit of a language burier.

2. can i set my desire volume level to the replay gain?
Not as of yet. I imagine that this is something that may be added in later versions of winamp. Keep in mind that the ReplayGain support in winamp is still very new. If you want to ReplayGain your files and be able to set a certain DB level, you should download the stand-alone program called MP3Gain.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
If you do this, read the help files carefully before doing anything.

3. instead of calculate the replay gain 1 song by 1 song, is there a way to auto calculate all the songs in my playlist? If all of the songs that you want to calculate are in your media library, you can calculate the ReplayGain values from there so that you don't have to do it song by song. Just select all of the songs from your media library that you want to calculate, then start the process from the send to menu. Several weeks back, I posted a message to the list explaining how to disable the prompt that appears after values are calculated for each album. Check the list archives.

4. is the replay gain calculation will be the same if in another computer? i mean, if i already calculate replay gain for song 1.mp3
and i send this song to someone, will the replay gain remain the same?
Yes. the ReplayGain values are stored in the ID3 tag of each file so the value will travel along with the file. Just make sure that whomever you send the file to is also using a version of winamp that supports ReplayGain.

Have fun.
--bob