Re: creating playlists and using the media library in Winamp 5.63

  • From: Chris Skarstad <rascal0826@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:15:02 -0500

If you're a first-time Winamp user, I have to admit it's not immediately obvious since the interface is so unusual. However, the later versions of the major screenreaders have much much better support for Winamp. JAWS 13 and 14 have Winamp support as do earlier versions, and Window-eyes users can download an absolutely beautiful app created by Jeff Bishop, which allows for many features right from the keyboard. It's free so if you're running the latest Window-eyes 8.0 or 8.1, go grab it from app central and you'll see how great this thing is. As for NVDA users, there is an add-on floating around but i don't have the address for it. So while it doesn't seem immediately intuitive, simply pressing insert plus h should give you some hotkeys to get you going, no matter what screenreader you might be using.

On 2/26/2013 1:43 PM, Mike Bernard wrote:
Hi Arlene,
I'm using Windows xp home edition. I remember specifically, when I first installed the program, the very first window that came up was a drop-down menu, asking me if I wanted the current or classic. That's really all it said. I assumed that they were refering to the skins, so I arrowed down to classic, and pressed next. I've heard from previous audio tutorials about Winamp being more accessible if you use the classic skins. If you press alt, or try to navigate with the numpad arrows, the screen reader doesn't appear to say anything. I don't know, but it just seems that Winamp is supposed to be easy to use, but for some reason, it isn't. At least not for those of us using screen readers.