best audio format for ripping in Winamp

  • From: "Joshua Loya" <jloya@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:53:56 -0500

Greetings,
    I'm trying to find the best audio format, as far as audio quality is
concerned. Right now I have most of my library ripped as .m4a at 128 bit. If I
rip at the maximum bit rate(350), how would it compare with mp3 at 128 as far
as file size is concerned? I'm not worried about being able to transfer the
files into a portable player; I just burn mix CDs from playlists most of the
time anyway. Plus, I picked up an mp3 CD burning plug-in from the Winamp web
site that I'll probably use for burning mp3 CDs. Any suggestions are welcome.
Also, even though Winamp doesn't directly support it, I'd be open to ripping
things into .OG, but I do have a few friends who use ITunes a lot (light
dependent folks, and I don't think .OG is supported by ITunes... so I think
I'll stick with .m4a, unless .OG is exceptionally better in audio quality from
.m4a.
Thanks,
Joshua