Re: Latest Winamp/Shoutcast and streaming set up question

  • From: BradD <megavend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:14:20 -0600

Chris,

What kind of router do you have? Just curious if mine is different, it might make a diffference. Been side tracked but going to get this thing streaming within the week come hell or high water. The free domain won't work for me, I'll have to buy an account from No IP because commercial use is prohibited for the free one's and technically this will be a commercial use having sponsor advertisers for the site.

Brad

At 11:56 PM 3/2/2008, you wrote:
Hey Brad
Ok, I might not've made this clear before, sorry about that. The reason that I use a domain like I mentioned is cause lots of times my IP address changes every so often, and for people to listen they're gonna need yours, or the address the shoutcast server is broadcasting on. So if your IP address changes, and people try to tune in, then they won't be able to hear it unless they get the correct address. What the whole no-ip domain does is it tracks your IP address so that no matter what it is, people can always use that particular address and if your station is on, it'll be a link everybody can use all the time. It just makes things a lot easier for everybody, this way if your address does change you won't have to keep telling people where to tune in. Hope that makes sense. If all this sounds too complicated, and believe me I can understand if it does, or if you'd rather not screw around with any of this, and again believe me I can understand why you wouldn't, there are lots of places where you can buy a server and for a few bucks a month you can broadcast on there. You'd need to determine how many listeners the server can support, what bitrate you would use, for example if you want a few listeners for broadband at 128k which is the standard for that sorta thing, that could run you anywhere from $15 to maybe $20 a month, that's just an estimate there. and since it's on a dedicated server for just that, the address you would give to people, or the link you would give people would be the exact same thing all the time, which again, makes it easier for everyone. Either way you do have some choices here so you'd just need to figure out what direction you would want to go. and when you finally have a broadcast set up, all you would need to do is provide some kind of a clickable link on the website so that when people do that, Winamp will come up and play the station. I hope some of this is making sense? If it's not you just keep on asking and we'll try to answer all your questions. Hang in there man.

At 10:59 PM 3/2/2008, you wrote:
Hey-ya Chris,

I'm sort of confused as to why the need for a domain? I do have one for the project I'm working on http://www.twincitiesmuse.com albeit it is hosted by Hostbaby which my access to the space outside of the control panel is non-existent at this point not having an FTP account hooked to it yet, I'm working on that for other reasons on that project as well. I apologize if this is getting off Winamp topic here... not sure, but does this sound like the sum of things...

*Upgrade to latest Winamp
*Download and install Shoutcast server softwre
* Download and install Shoutcast plugin
* Possibly get a domain and point the Shoutcast to the domain, and the domain's DNS to my IP address? Or do I get the domain and upload the files to it and stream from there avoiding the router issue you talked about? I know IE flags logging on to an IP address as possible malicious or unsafe practices which might turn folks off to listening too. This bit is the problem child... understanding the domain or router method. *Or Let the Shoutcast server use my IP address and try to get past the router issue.

I apologize for not connecting the dots... this is brand spanking new to me to understand how the chain of links go from listener to server.

Sorry for all the questions.

Brad

At 06:08 PM 3/2/2008, you wrote:
Howdy Brad
Yup, you'll need to install both the Shoutcast server, and plugin if you want to stream from your own computer, but the thing is you'll need to be able to get the address to get to people to actually listen to the stream. I know there's a lot to this but just hang in there. So, if you're going to do this from your own computer, head on over to http://www.no-ip.com and sign up for a free domain. you could get something like,
http://BradsMusic.servemp3.com
or something similar. that way you could give people an easy address to listen. The trouble begins when you're behind a router. I've had my current router for about 6 or 7 months and still haven't gotten No-IP to work with it, but i keep trying.
As far as another list, give the pc-audio e-mail list a try.
http://www.pc-audio.org is the page for that.

Hang in there, you'll get this going man.  Stay with it!

At 05:33 PM 3/2/2008, you wrote:
I've upgraded to the latest Winamp.

I went to Shoutcast.com and see there are two links for downloading a server file I took the one with the license agreement. It is file shoutcast-dnas-1-9-8.exe

Do I need this software to stream off my comp or do I just need the Shoutcast plugin for Winamp? I'm thinking I need to install the plugin into Winampo, and also install the Shoutcast server to be able to allow the pplugin to access means of transmitting? Is that right?

I haven't activated and set it up yet... wanted to find out if this is right before messing something up :).

On a secondary note, does anyone know of an email list for audio concerns such as with Sonar and audio production in general?

Thanks.
Brad

Thanks,

Brad