Re: Installing a Plug-in

  • From: Reg Webb <reg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:18:10 +0000

Hi Chris

Any extra plug ins you need depend on what you want to do that Winamp
doesn't do already.  If, for instance, you're determined to listen to
Real content with Winamp, then you'll need a plug in for that.  The Tara
plug in provides an imperfect solution, as it works better for some
things than for others.  The plug in is a bit flaky, and no longer in
development, which means that it seems to work differently on different
systems.  For this reason, the list owners don't like extensive
discussion of Tara-based problems on here, as it may be pointless.  If
you try it, and it works, great!

The regular install of Winamp will do a great job on Mp3, OGG MP4/AAC,
midifiles, and loads of other formats, (see the file types list in
Preferences).  So, the bottom line is, if you find you want to listen to
something, and you find you can't, and that format doesn't show up as
one of Winamp's supported file formats, then you may well need an extra
plug in.  The exception to this is Windows Media streaming content,
which is discussed elsewhere.

I hope that helps a bit.

Reg

In message <001501c4d61d$526c2030$b750bc44@DBRHN831>, Kristine Hickerson