Re: How to change encoding in winamp!

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:26:47 -0500

hi

your message was a little unclear here.
When you say "encoding", are you talking about streaming to a shoutcast server, or are you talking about ripping tracks from a cd into mp3 format?
Keep in mind that when you raise the bitrate of your files, the file size is going to become a lot bigger. My best suggestion is to upgrade to a more recent version of Winamp to fix some security bugs in earlier versions, yes this is a very important thing because it'll keep people from hacking into your machine and I'm sure you don't want that.
I would also suggest a sampling rate of 192kbps, 44100 KHZ.
This particular sampling rate is good for most music and is the defacto standard of people who rip tracks from their cd's nowadays. It should be just fine for what you need, no need to go all the way up to 320k, unless you're ripping lots of classical music, in which case I would recommend using the ogg vorbis format. If what I said confused you, then don't worry about it. Either way if you're using your older version of Winamp, you can't even rip cd's, so this might not be something entirely Winamp related. It is because you'd be using it to listen to you songs with it, but the later versions of Winamp, 5.0 and up, will rip tracks from cd's. but it is very very slow. I can't really recommend using it to do that, you'd want to use another program like CDEX. and as we all know, discussion of that program isn't for this list.

Hope this helps you a little?

At 08:07 AM 8/12/2005, you wrote:
I am using winamp v2.95 now I am encoding at 128 but I wish to put it up to 320 but I have no idea of how to do this.

I am using Jaws 5.0 and am on windows xp.

If someone can help me, I would be very thankful.

Rudie From Toronto.

If you wish to talk to me do it in one of these ways rudie.toroian@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ve3oua@xxxxxx if you are an amateur radio operator You wish to request a song? rudie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is there for your pleasure. if you wish to msn me, ve3oua@xxxxxx If you wish to Skipe me Darnstraight is my name there