[win2kforum] Strange Behavior

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 01:01:13 -0700

  I have a Win2K Pro workstation that is behaving strangely ...
it is a fairly new/current system - a P4-1Ghz.  It was originally
on WinNT WkSta but has been moved to Win2K in the last 2 weeks.
The behaviors/problems were there before the move to Win2K.

  1) First and foremost is that the system takes a VERY long time
     to either boot up or shutdown (including restart).  And it is
     slowest during the phase where it is dealing with either
     or not you logon as Administrator or one of the regular users.
     The rest of the use of the system performance is 'normal'.  It
     is only slow during the 'loading your personal settings' (sic -
     you know what time period I'm referring to - the time between
     when you provide the userid and password during logon and when
     you actually have a fully active desktop) -or- the time when it
     says 'saving your settings, please wait' (sic again).  For both
     of them if you just leave it alone it will finally finish.
     (BTW - this behavior did not correct itself when the system
      O/S was changed from NT to Win2K.  It was slow under NT also.)
  2) Norton AntiVirus (Corporate Edition) is both up to date and
     finds no viruses when a full system scan is run.
  3) Day before yesterday I tried to install one of the working
     network printers and it ran all the way to where you click on
     finish ... copied some files ... and then said it failed with
     no reason for the failure.  This is a network printer that is
     hosted by the network PDC and is in use "all the time" and has
     been in use, continuously, from the same PDC for several years.

  So anyone have any guesses as to the source of these problems?
How about suggestions for how to fix it (even if you don't have a
clue - like me - what is causing it)?