[win2kforum] Re: Roaming Profile

  • From: "L.W. Kramer" <lwkramer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 07:26:48 -0800

Not weird at all - just complicated and rarely documented...
as context for the rest of this not, keep in mind that 9x and nt4 and win2k
have various strategies for home folder, profiles, and the like depending
on the authentication model and network involved.

plain old 9x supports a default profile (where logins are bypassed) -
not a real good idea to use it, but explaining logins to the home user is
just not part of microsoft's plan, until XP comes along...

when 9x is used in a domain setting, it MAY obtain a profile from the
domain server's netlogon directory (if you configure it to do so) - if it
can't get the profile from the domain it uses the locally cached instance,
which is also what it uses if it is not using roaming profiles... pretty
much the same for Nt4 clients.

If you are configured for server-based profiles, whenever you see the
message "domain controller could not be contacted," you are then logged on
using the latest cached home directory (if a suitable surrogate can be
connived) and profile.

There is a 6-chapter very lengthy NT4-current discussion of profiles on the
ms-kbase. I keep pulling it out and reading it and I STILL can't get the
whole picture.

Profile and homedirectory management does seem to be a bit more
straightforward for win2k, but if you have 9x / nt4 clients, all of the old
rules still apply to them - for instance, there's still a netlogon share,
but it only has 9x and nt4 profiles on it.

WIn2k client profiles come off of the sysvol share - which is replicated
throughout the domain and independent of any server instance (or so they
claim). The good news is that this addresses the history that profiles used
to be server specific -even though a logon could be authenticated by any
DC, the profile directory usually has a specific server name prepended.
Some people had nt4 replication working and could SOMETIMES get away with
using the unsupported \\%logonserver%\profiles$\%userid% for the profile,
but it was dicey and weird to do so. Often, this was facilitated by
suppressing WINS entries for most of the controllers in the domain and
rapidly replicating between two preferred %logonserver% systems.

It's a complex topic with lots of history, and lots of admins have very
different expereriences ("an elephant...is very like a snake."). Check out
the MS kbase for a good free read on the topic.

L.