[win2kforum] Re: New User Cannot Logon NT 4.0 WS But Can logo n to Win2K Pro

  • From: "L.W. Kramer" <lwkramer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:49:52 -0700

Win2k multiple master replication does not have BDC's per se. If you
DCPROMO as server, it joins the AD peer community. If not, it's just a
member server.

The PDC emulation role is really a feature of "legacy support," primarily
for compatibility with nt4 servers that are BDC'S and expect to replicate
with a PDC.
The other FSMO roles determine which machine(s) is/are responsible for
coordinating replication among machines in a site, and a domain may contain
multiple sites.

There is a certain sense that some peer 2kDC's are 'more equal' than
others, such as the holder of a global catalog - these role assignments are
mainly intended to permit control  (and enhance the reliability) of
replication in highly populated and dispersed environs.

For the most part, the dynamic establishment of a replication strategy by
the "KCC" (knowledge consistency checker) will provide you the best results
unless you have unusual topology, site or bandwidth issues.

L.