[win2kforum] Re: Nero and Direct CD?

  • From: "L.W. Kramer" <lwkramer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:40:36 -0700

My spouse did some research on this a while back and discovered that the
directCD install replaces one or two kernel modules -AND- these modules are
not rolled back when directCD is uninstalled.

This makes it impossible for other cdwriters to run, and unistalling
directCD is no relief. you may be able to use win98's sfc (system file
checker) to identify and roll back to the correct modules.

I do not have the details at hand beyond this, but a version check (sort by
date) of your adaptec install dirs (I guess its "Rubio") now and a
cross-check on your windows, windows\system, etc dirs should be able to
reveal these. see rubio.com(?) - the spinoff that adaptec created to handle
this product line.

Long and short of it is that if you plan to use two different writer tools,
install the non-adaptec one first, and there's no guarantee that it will
continue to work after DirectCD is installed. Don't flame me please, I'm
only the messenger. do whatever you think is best.

L.