[win2kforum] Re: Dual Boot Windows 2Kpro/SuSe Linux Pro

  • From: "Mauro Dionisi" <mhdion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:04:57 -0300

Once you have finished with partition manager, you would have a new
partition. 1st with win2k and 2nd to use with linux.

When installing linux, you will asked for with mount point use for some
dirs like "/", "/usr", "/var", "/home", "/boot", etc.

GNU/Linux uses a dedicated partition to do swap work. Usually is the next to
the one who has "/"

I recommend you to use partitions for /usr, /var, /home.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND to put everything in the same partition like /.
You will have mount points in / for each partition. Your dir tree will
not change. Each mount point with his correspondent partition will be
written in /etc/fstab.

Every distribution will provide you a lot of filesystems types.
I recommend you to use ext2 for everything but swap. For swap exists
a filesystem called... swap :P

This seems to be to difficult, but dont worry. Once you have your
installation cd, before running or installing anything....
READ ALL DOCS in the CD.

I tried to give you a very simple, introduction of what you have
to do. DONT FORGET TO READ DOCS ON YOUR INSTALLATION CD.

Tip:

When you install GNU/Linux, you will asked for install LILO.

LILO is Linux Loader, and will replace your boot up menu of win2k.
Don't worry. Do it. LILO will add an option for win2k. When you choose
that, will appear (if you have it) the win2k boot up menu.

If you are unsure about lilo, you could put it on a floppy, and when
you want to boot linux, you will have to boot from that floppy.

Everything I said is explained (obviusly better explained) in the included
documentation.

Some http links to take a look:

http://www.linux-howto.org
http://www.linux.org

And, the best place to search when you have troubles:

http://www.google.com/linux

good luck

Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:15:33 -0500

Hey, All

I am contemplating a dual boot system. I currently have a 40gig HDD on a
Pentium 4 pc with 256MB RAM, etc. and want to use Partition Magic 7 to
resize the drive to 20gig for Windows and the other 20gig for Linux.

Can anyone point me to a site where they have the do's of setting up this
kind of dual boot? Has anyone done this successfully and can you provide
hints of what to avoid to limit errors,etc.?

Any advice, hints, help, and/or direction that you can provide will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Charles E. James, Programmer/Analyst