Re: plan9-style tools, was Re: reading mail

  • From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:34:23 -0400

On Fri, 17 May 2002 00:08:18 -0400
Serge Gagnon <gagnon__s@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002 21:22:18 -0400
> ozan s yigit <oz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> There is also larswm, an autotile wm based on 9wm. Personnaly, I found
> this wm not practical to use it all days. But, it is interesting
> to play with it.

Actually, larswm can be configured to allow specific programs to open
their own untiled windows making things like Mozilla much easier to use.
It has to be done by editing config files (no simple GUI here) and is
not, as my old physics professor would say, "Intuitively obvious to the
casual observer," but the docs help.

There are a _bunch_ of other "derivatives" of 9wm including w9wm (9wm
hacked to add workspaces), aewm, aewm++, alloy, evilwm et. al. Note:
some of these are second and third derivatives :-)

--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG         wmeahan@xxxxxxxxxx
"Never ascribe to mailce what can be adequately explained