Re: plan9-style tools, was Re: reading mail

  • From: "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:39:35 -0700

>     9menu-1.5
>            A simple menu patterened after plan9

I use this myself, it's very useful. However, it is not really patterned
after plan9, as far as I can tell. Under the 8 1/2 window system which
Rob Pike wrote, the only command option was one to open a new window. The
neat thing was that programs executed in the window could take over the
entire window (much nicer than curses).

Under X this isn't possible, and I believe that's the reason the author
of 9menu came up with a simple and useful menu system for use under 9wm.

Jim