Re: difference in wily ?

  • From: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 12:23:33 +0100

> i realize va-whatever is in hard times, but i did not know sourceforce is
> now portal-a-non-grata. what happened?

Sourceforge was a PR- and codebase-building exercise, I guess.  At some
point, it became more in their interests to close the code and not allow
competitors to use their current code than it was to follow the "Open
Source" way, I guess.  Perhaps they didn't see the technical benefits of
peer review that are normally the primary concern of Open Source supporters.

> what alternatives are there? if there is another really strong opensource
> bazaar, i'd use that. or i can just leave it where it is until later...

Some alternatives are linked from coopx.eu.org but others exist also.  I'm
not aware of any offering any aegis repository hosting yet, but then, you
can do most of that on a simple web site anyway.

> um, i thought savannah was for gnu projects. wily does not come with gnu
> copyleft, does not follow gnu coding standards, not is it ever likely to. :)

Savannah hosts any free software (even mine), but has been criticised in the
past for being too fussy on licensing and too slow to approve new projects.
Personally, I think being fairly secure legally is a good idea and I haven't
had a problem with the speed.
--
MJR