Re: How to develope wily?

  • From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:48:10 +0200

Ian Broster wrote:
> the argument can include arbitrary perl code of course,
> it doesn't have to be a regexp, the code is executed once
> per line.
>
> Why cannot Edit be written like this?

[omitted perl code that loops over lines and evals regexp on each]

Because sometimes you do not want to limit yourself to single lines.
The editing language of sam (and acme's Edit) is much richer -
although I admit I seldomly use its full power (which mostly
shows I'm still not using it to the full power).

Have a look at Rob Pike's "Strucural Regular Expressions",
available via http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StructuralRegularExpressions .

Axel - who nowadays mostly uses plan9ports acme, using the
       patch that makes it do wily style $var substition