[wiblind] Fw: Milwaukee VisionWalk kicks off with a BANG!

  • From: "John G. Heim" <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wiblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:43:13 -0500

All,

I mentioned at today's meeting that I'd send out something about the Milwaukee Vision Walk. This event benefits the Foundation Fighting Blindness which sponsors research into cures for retinal diseases like RP.

My sister, Bunny Jordan, mentioned in the article below, is co-chair of the event. I'm signed up for the team mentioned below, Wootie Who. If you'd like to sponsor me, You can donate on-line at
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/TR?px=1769461&pg=personal&fr_id=2490

Or you can mail me a check at:
JohnHeim
5 South Kenosha Dr.
Madison, WI 53705-4618

----- Original Message ----- From: "Milwaukee VisionWalk" <SSroka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Join us Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dear Steve,

The Inaugural Milwaukee VisionWalk is set for May 31 at Veteran's
Park in Milwaukee.  We are on a torrid pace and our teams are
very close to breaking the $20,000 mark this morning, which is an
ENORMOUS jump following our Kick Off!  We are on a pace of $5,000
raised per week, which will put us very close to our goal of $50,000
thanks to your continued efforts.

Congratulations to everyone who has registered their teams and started
to send out those e-mails and letters.  If you haven't already
done so, I welcome anyone who is interested in supporting the
Foundation's important research to register for the Walk as Wisconsin
residents join us in large numbers.  We have 25 teams and nearly
200 walkers registered already!

ONE more team can make a big difference in our efforts.
ONE more team can make a big difference in the
efforts of the researchers and scientists funded by the Foundation to

FIND A CURE.

If you missed our Kick Off luncheon at Joey Buona's, we'd like to
remind everyone that registration is open! Please visit
www.VisionWalk.org to register your team and start fundraising!
We have VisionWalk brochures, posters, POP Eyes, and awareness
wristbands available to help you talk the walk. Please contact Steve
to order your supply today!

Team Spotlight
It is always exciting to welcome new teams to VisionWalk, and
Milwaukee has come out in force with 25 teams already.  I would
like for everyone to get to know a few of them, so each week I will
highlight teams that are doing a tremendous job raising money for the
week.

Team Rumor - Team Captain, Peter Borchardt
Peter has RP and understands the need for a cure. So far his team
has raised $2,350 in a bit over two weeks!  He wrote a very
personal letter to 100 friends, relatives and colleagues.  He
also got a copy of his church directory for additional people to
contact.  To spread the word even more about VisionWalk and
the need for funding research, he did an interview for a feature
story in his local Ozaukee Press.  I also hope you will join
us on Walk day, as Peter and his band Rumor have graciously offered to
play for us during the day's festivities!

Here are some other tidbits about our teams this week:

*
Team Hootie Whoo, led by Walk co-Chair Bunny Jordan, is the
first team to break the $3,000 mark, and they also have the most
team members registered, at 36.
*
Team Cheri 4 Sight 4 Research 4 Ever is right on their heals,
only 11 TEENIE WEENIE dollars away from reaching $3,000.
Cheri is big on the number four, as her goal is $4,444.44.
*
Co-Chair Nicole Everson and her team VisionEars is also in the
top spot battle at $2,989.  Congrats to all of you, and
keep going!
*
I'd also like to highlight a few other teams who have already
reached 50% of their goal: A Train, Eyes on Success and
Team Savasta.

If you would like to support the Foundation, here's how you can get
started:

Register for the Walk

*
*  Go to www.VisionWalk.org
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=wBne8WWvFBaU2QpJmnqC1Q..

.
*  Click Register and choose the Milwaukee Walk.
*  If you haven't registered for the Walk, choose whether you
want to form a team, join a team, or walk as an individual.
*  Once you've registered for the Walk, you can start sending
out fundraising e-mails.

Send out Fundraising E-mails:

*  Enter the user name and password you created when you registered
for the Walk. You are now in your Participant Center.
*  Click on the e-mail link at the top of the page and choose which
type of letter you would like to send.
*  Use the "Support Me" letter to send fundraising e-mails.
*  Personalize your letter by telling your story and even a photo.
Why are you involved with the Walk? What do you want people to
know about you? The system will automatically add a link to your
personal page, and, if you joined a team, a link to your team
page. The person who gets the e-mail can just click the link to
make a secure, online donation to you or your team.
*  Preview your message. If you like, you can save your message and
send it out again to more people.
*  Click "Send" to deliver your e-mails! You can also send an
e-mail thanking people for their donation; ask them to join your
team; give teammates a team update; or create your own e-mail
message.
*  Check the "Follow Ups" link to see who has contributed to you!
You can sort your contacts by selecting an option in the
pull-down menu and the click on the "Go" button.

If you have questions about registering for VisionWalk, using the
VisionWalk website or your Participant Center, or need any fundraising
tips, please contact Steve Sroka at (847) 680-0100 or e-mail
SSroka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Join us at the Walk!
Sunday, May 31, 2009
(the weekend after Memorial Day)
Veteran's Park
1010 N. Lincoln Memorial Drive
Milwaukee, WI  53202

Check-In/Registration at 9:00 A.M.
Walk begins at 10:30 A.M.

Check us out on:

facebook

twitter

MySpace

YouTube

http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=_ecrmZytuvEW1ocHBebexg..
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=NyvGKoQ_8n9yJBoYF3dQEA..
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=Wyw7NrU64ABZKx49Q3acEQ..
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=Pt22geZCb3CYkBHVY5VTnQ..

Tell a Friend  |
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=SUhu-2qKVuR9cC7WPcItfg..

Subscribe
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=HpH9tl3lePRW06xtz9ROWg..

http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=5TfbBJodpto_5OGSWx0xRg..

 |  Unsubscribe
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/CO?i=oB2WI1mBUSTvlBTkguI1o27qVXj9DvZp&cid=0

Foundation Fighting Blindness
www.FightBlindness.org
http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=-Va-gteEa6zwLMY0dLSoGg..

11435 Cronhill Drive
Owing Mills, MD 21117
1-800-683-5555

If you would like to make a donation to the Foundation Fighting
Blindness, please click here.

http://www.fightblindness.org/site/R?i=B5mOmqDL7f_a2tLIdw5dUw..