[wiaattorneys] Re: WIB as public instrumentality

  • From: "Joseph Mueller" <JMuelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:54:10 -0500

The opinion wasn't based simply on whether an entity was federally funded, but,
for future reference, we'll enter your name on the rolls under the
not-buying-it category.

>>> "Pomerantz, Jane C.  (GC-LI)" <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx> 06/23/2005 8:23:52
>>> AM >>>
Joe

If I were to "buy that logic", I would be a federal agency because I am
federally funded.  I also don't think I can buy it because I just read a
PA Supreme Court case dealing with what is a public instrumentality. In
fact the court specially stated "The receipt by Temple of increased
state financial aid no more transforms Temple into a state "agency" than
the receipt of federal funds can make Temple an agency of the federal
government." Mooney v. Temple, 292 A.2d 395 (1972).

(By the way, this case also has some great language in a footnote,
quoting cases from DC, Calif, and Iowa, about a public records request
that was a broad and unlimited request that the court, quoting Iowa,
said would impose an intolerable burden on the public officer . . . and
an unreasonable and harmful interference with the day-to-day conduct of
public business. Loved this language.)

Thanks for the info.

JP