[wiaattorneys] Re: WIB as public instrumentality

  • From: "Joseph Mueller" <JMuelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wiaattorneys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:47:58 -0500

There's an in-house legal opinion from 1994, concluding that private industry
councils established under the JTPA were federal agencies for purposes of  an
exception to Illinois' confidentiality statute that allows IDES to share info
with certain state or federal agencies. The reasoning was that the PICs
constituted a federal authority, for purposes of the federal Administrative
Procedure Act, because they were created and funded under the JTPA. If you buy
into that logic, it seems it would also apply to LWIBs.

Joe Mueller, Legal Counsel
Illinois Department of Employment Security
850 E. Madison, Third Floor
Springfield, Illinois 62702
217/785-5069

>>> "Pomerantz, Jane C.  (GC-LI)" <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx> 06/21/2005 12:18:07
>>> PM >>>
Has anyone reviewed the issue of whether the local WIBs are public
instrumentalities?  I don't think they are but I wondered if anyone has
explored the issue.

Thanks JP

Jane C. Pomerantz
Deputy Chief Counsel
Department of Labor & Industry
Phone: 717-787-4186
Fax:     717-787-1303

Wisdom is knowing the right road to take.
Integrity is taking it.