[wiaattorneys] Re: WIA Sec 193 - Use of Certain Real Property

  • From: "King, Jack \(EOL\)" <Jack.King@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Bsimoneau@xxxxxxxxx>, "WIA Attorneys List" <wiaattorneys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:01:22 -0500

Bob-

I have just spoken to a staffer in New York State about this language.
It is their understanding that the language is intended to substitute
for some NY-specific language that had been proposed some weeks ago on
their behalf, which would have allowed that state to sell a SESA-owned
building, and use the proceeds for ES/UI administrative purposes
generally. Under current law, such a sale would require that the
proceeds be used only to acquire or improve SESA real property.

While this new language is certainly desirable in regard to allowing
broader use of sale proceeds, its striking of current law sec. 193
language allowing Governors to make SESA real property  "available for
the use of a one-stop service delivery system" is  very undesirable,
from our perspective. This change would prohibit, on a going forward
basis, the use of SESA property by WIA Title I operators, Workforce
Investment Boards, and all other members of the "one-stop system" who
are not ES or UI.

Perhaps this provision can be recrafted so that it retains the
current-law language on property use, while including the proposed
broader language that would affect property sales.

Jack King, Esq.
Senior Policy Advisor
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Department of Workforce Development