[wiaattorneys] FW: NASWA/CESER E-LERT: Information on FY 2007 Budget Request & Career Advancement Account Proposal

  • From: "Pomerantz, Jane C. (GC-LI)" <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Curt Harris" <Charris@xxxxxxxxx>, <bsimoneau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:52:59 -0500

Hi Curt and Bob:

Today I received the following Email Notification from NASWA. It had the
Dear Colleague letter from DOL that explains the CAA proposal that is in
the Bush's Budget.  The letter including the following:

    Undoubtedly, many states would choose to continue the network of
state and local boards, as well as the system
     of One-Stop Career Centers for delivering services. However, some
states and areas may choose to move away
    from that design and identify a system of access points for
workforce services that they believe will work better
    for them, and at a lower operating cost. For example, these access
points could be located in the existing
    infrastructure found at community colleges, public libraries, senior
centers, or community-based organizations,
    as well as virtually on the Internet.

Are they saying that they are going to allow states to get rid of the
one stop system and local areas and boards? Wouldn't that amount to
repealing part of WIA with the budget?  Or is this all moot because the
CAA proposals are not going anywhere anyway just as I heard that Bush's
Budget was DOA when it got to Congress?

As you can see I copied all the WIA attorneys because I am sure they
will be interested in your answer.  Thanks for any insight you can give.

JP